It’s important to keep your pet’s safety in mind on Valentine’s Day—this holiday might seem innocent enough, but it’s chock-full of hazards for our animal friends! Learn more below from a vet in Omaha, NE.
Think twice before opening up that heart-shaped box of chocolates. Chocolate, as you probably know, is very bad for animals! All varieties of chocolate contain caffeine and a chemical called theobromine, which can cause toxic reactions in our four-legged companions. Keep chocolates of any kind out of Fido or Fluffy’s reach.
Many candies and gums are also hazardous—these sweet treats are often sweetened with xylitol, a sugar substitute that can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and worse in pets. Store Valentine’s Day sweets inside a cabinet or drawer to make sure your pet can’t gain access.
Candles and Valentine’s Day go hand-in-hand. Pets and candles, however, don’t mix. If you’re lighting candles to set that romantic holiday mood, use caution—it’s easy for a pet to swipe a paw or tail through an open flame, spilling hot wax or even knocking the entire candle over. It’s safest to restrict your pet’s access to areas where lit candles are set up.
Cooking a romantic holiday meal for that special someone? Keep your animal companion out of the kitchen during meal preparation and dinner time. There are plenty of common human foods—garlic, onions, chives, leeks, scallions, shallots, salty foods, fatty items, avocado, and much more—that can cause harm to pets. Also refrain from giving your furry friend bones, whether they’re cooked or not, as these can splinter apart dangerously when chewed.
If alcoholic beverages will be included in your Valentine’s Day festivities, make sure your pet can’t imbibe. It turns out that alcohol affects pets just like it affects humans! The difference is this: even in small amounts, alcohol can harm pets easily. Keep all drinks—wine, liquor drinks, champagne, and beer included—out of your animal friend’s grasp.
Lilies are common in bouquets and floral arrangements this time of year. Did you know that they’re poisonous for our feline friends, and may harm dogs as well? Remove them from your home if your pet is the curious nibbler type.Don’t allow a pet emergency to ruin the romance this holiday—for more Valentine’s Day safety tips, call your Omaha, NE animal hospital.