Did you know that pets start over 1000 fires annually? We hope that none of you are ever in a fire. This is one area where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Read on as a local Omaha, NE vet discusses pet fire prevention and safety.
You may have seen online that a dog was rescued from a house fire recently. We had a bit of a role in that story, in that we recently donated ‘Fido bags’ to the Omaha Fire Department. These are special bags that are made just for pups that have been rescued from house fires. The bags include masks, splints, water bowls, and special blankets. The pup that was recently saved by the OFD’s Truck 63 B-Shift crew was unresponsive at first, but with oxygen and TLC, is now back with her owners, and presumably getting lots of love, treats, and ear scritches.
There are a few specific fire risks for pet owners to be aware of. If you have a gas stove and a big dog, it’s a good idea to get child-safe knobs, so Fido doesn’t accidentally turn the gas on. You’ll also need to be very careful with candles. Keep them in high, secure spots, well out of paws’ reach. We also advise against using glass bowls on or near wooden decks. Because of the way these refract sunlight, they can actually start fires. Last but not least, you may want to consider getting a monitored security system. That way, if a fire starts when no one is home, first responders will still be alerted.
There are a few things you can do to protect your pet in case of a fire. It’s not a bad idea to get window stickers that include your pets. Include the type of animals you have, how many you have, and where they might be. It’s also important to have an emergency plan. Finally, make sure that your pet is microchipped and wearing ID tags. If there is a fire and your furry friend gets out but runs off in the commotion, this is your best chance at being reunited. Make sure that the information on your pet’s chip is correct and up to date.
Do you have questions about your pet’s health or care? Contact us, your Omaha, NE animal clinic!